When the elderly remain in their homes, unable to leave, they require a support system. For some, family caregivers step in. For others, however, the circumstances dictate otherwise. While some may need a companion, others may require an elderly companion nurse.
Elderly (home) companions are individuals hired to ensure a homebound senior has company. The companion is there to help in a variety of ways. Not only do they sit, talk and provide stimulation and distraction to the elderly individual, they also perform domestic duties including:
* Grocery shopping
* Light housekeeping chores
* Meal preparations
The elderly companion nurse might perform these tasks as part of her care plan. However, the stress in this relationship is on “nurse.” The job focuses on nursing tasks including:
* Assessing the current medial state on a daily basis
* Consulting with other medical professionals on the present condition of the individual and any future developments
* Ensuring the individual is aware of what medication s/he needs to take
* Making certain the medication is in the appropriate dosage and order
* Communicating with medical professionals and family members (if so desired by the patient or another legally entitled individual, e.g., executor guardian) about the current situation
* Talking with the family in general about the care plan and related permitted matters
Being a companion nurse is a responsibility. It demands confidentiality, an awareness of legal and medical responsibilities. The position also requires the nurse truly be a companion to the elderly individual for whom they are caring.
Elderly Companion Nurse
Many individuals must work together to ensure a senior remains safely and comfortably at home. While companions are excellent for addressing domestic needs, sometimes this may not prove sufficient. If medical issues are present, it is best to arrange for an elderly companion nurse. S/he will work with all invested parties to ensure the health, comfort, and security of the senior is a priority.
Whether you are considering hiring an individual specifically for Alzheimer’s and dementia care or require an Elderly Companion Nurse, contact the experienced professionals at Capital City Nurses. They offer options suitable to meet a variety of needs and concerns. Whether you need someone to live-in or visit regularly, you can count on Capital City Nurses’ skilled and compassionate staff. For more information on their services, qualifications and capabilities, contact them online at http://capitalcitynurses.com/.
Be the first to like.