If Your Claim For Disability Benefits Was Denied, What Can You Do Next?

by | Feb 13, 2018 | Lawyers

Recent Articles



When you receive your pay, the amount is less than you earned because of taxes. One of the taxes is FICA, the Federal Insurance Contributions Act tax.  This tax goes to pay for your eventual retirement benefits as well as paying benefits to those that suffer a disability. If you do become disabled, either physically or mentally, you can prepare a claim for disability benefits and forward it to the Social Security Administration for approval. Sounds straightforward. After all, you have paid into FICA for years so getting benefits should not be a problem. Unfortunately, the Social Security system is not as simple as it sounds, and many claimants that are eligible for benefits are denied.

What can you do if your claim is denied?

Do not think you are alone, over 70 percent of claims are denied. This is far from the end of the road; it is simply the beginning of the appeals process. It is at this time you should seriously consider hiring a Social Security attorney in Kansas City.

Appeal the denial of benefits:

Many claimants that are denied benefits will give up or start over. Neither of these approaches is wise. Giving up is never a good move. Remember, only 30 percent of claims are approved on an application.  Of the 70 percent that are denied benefits, over half of them eventually are approved on appeal.

Reapplying is also not a wise move. If you reapply and nothing has changed, chances are you will be denied a second time. The appeals process may take time and it is cumbersome, but it is the far better approach. A seasoned Social Security attorney in Kansas City can help you through the appeals process.

Many disabled individuals find themselves trying to make-do on limited cash reserves and may not think they can afford the luxury of legal representation. This is not a concern as a Social Security attorney in Kansas City works on a contingency fee basis; you do not have to pay your attorney until the SSA pays you.

If you have claimed for disability benefits only to be denied, you should hire a knowledgeable Social Security attorney in Kansas City for your appeal. For a free case evaluation, contact the Grundy Disability Group, LLC.

Related Articles