Keeping kitchen or bathroom countertops clean is not too difficult. However, if your tops are made from durable and beautiful granite, you should take special care, so you do not damage them. Besides using a good granite cleaner, there are some things you can do to protect your investment. These tips can help you keep your countertops in good condition for many years to come.
Granite resists water, but it is a porous substance. Sealing your countertops is a good way to avoid stains. However, some slabs are more moisture-resistant than others and may not need sealing. The best way to check your countertops is with a simple water test. Here is how it works:
- Pour a little water on the counter (a few tablespoons is enough)
- Note the time you poured the water
- If the water sits with no absorption for a half-hour, the top does not need sealing.
Guidelines for Sealing
- 10-minute absorption – seal every few years you may need one layer of sealer
- 5 minutes – seal every three years or so with more than one layer
- Immediate – seal once a year with a well-known sealing product
You should be careful when cleaning the countertops. Make sure to use quality granite cleaner made for the job. However, some spills can quickly set in, so do not let spills sit on granite and clean them up as soon as you can. This helps to eliminate the possibility of staining.
What Not to Do
If you do not have a quality granite cleaner, you can use mild soap and water, not harsh cleaners. Do not oil the countertops or put acidic food or liquids directly on the surfaces. Use a cutting board for food preparation to avoid damaging your surfaces.
Be the first to like.